Saturday, July 10, 2010

The wind at my back

7-10-10 Day 35: Bismarck, ND to Minot, ND: 110 miles in 6:43 hours. Burnt Road to River Road to Rt1804 to Rt 83 north to Minot.

Whew! Big ride day for sure. Stated the morning getting up around 5:30 AM at Carol’s to ready for my ride north up towards Minot so I can continue west. Now this was quite a topic of discussion Thursday night as I had wanted to go on a route that would take me into North Dakota’s Bad Lands in West Central North Dakota. Supposed to be quite beautiful place. BUT….there’s now oil in them there hills, and this has created a real problem. Problem is that it’s supposed to be as big as the oil fields of Saudi Arabia, but there are environmental issues to deal with to. Not all roses. And for me, a lowly little cyclist who wants to ride out into this area to view the stunning scenery, it’s not a good idea. Nope, I’m told that the roads are narrow, some bermless, and that the oil tankers moving north and south along these state and county roads just blast along at massive speeds. There’s been a cyclist killed out there by a truck, and numerous people had warned me NOT to take those roads.

Many at the potluck on Thursday were trying to figure out a way for me to get into the Badlands of ND, but each and every road they looked at was now a trucking route. Couple that with the fact that Lake Sakakawea, a extensive damed area of the Missouri, blocks most northerly roads up to Rt 2 west – it’s a bridgeless barrier. I was given some phone numbers, to call people in the know, but honestly, I just did not want to risk riding on any of those roads if it’s as dangerous as I’d been told – numerous times. So, I opted to go right back up to Rt 2 via Rt 83 north. But, Carol and the gang showed me a alternate route along the Missouri for about 42 miles up to the town of Washburn where it jcn back with Rt 83. So that was the plan for today, to ride this stretch along the Missouri, and then big it in the town of Underwood, about 56 miles north of Bismarck.

Got going from Carol’s at 6:45 AM as her and Tammy were off to a sprint triathlon. I took Carol’s directions and had no problem getting down onto River Road along the Missouri. And it was just otherworldly in the cool morning. Just a fabulous ride on a little road that is flats and gentle rollers up and down the buffs. I actually had the road to myself almost the whole time. Again, a pinch-me kind of ride. Thanks for the great beta ladies! Stopped several times for pics along the way. The wind was non-existent to ever so slightly out of the southwest, but almost the whole time along the river I noticed zero wind. Then I jcn with Rt 83 and on to Washburn. By Washburn the wind just started to stir, and I was wondering if it would shift to a westerly and make the day’s riding much harder, but by the time I reached my destination, Underwood, it was a solid southwesterly – at about 5-10 mph. Now came the dilemma – stop in Underwood with 52 miles under my belt, and hell, it was only 10:30 AM, or make a day of it and go for the green by riding tomorrow’s ride today, to Minot. I decided to go with the gamble and hope that the predicted 90+ degrees for the day wouldn’t crush me, and that the wind would stay out of the southwest.

Did a super quick rest stop at a convenience store for a coke and a sandwich, and bought some emergency goodies for the next 58 miles to Minot. Got on the road and man, just 15 min pit stop and it had felt like the wind picked up by another 5 mph. I was able to pedal at a very steady 16-18 mph, and wow, what a great feeling that was, big ring and just steamrolling down the road. Went across this 2-3 mile section that separates the massive Lake Sakakawea and Lake Audibon – very, very impressive. After that the road trended dead to the north, and it felt like the wind was dead from the south – mph up to 17-19 mph! I was just flying. Back in Underwood I was figuring on getting into Minot at like 3:30 PM, but now I was recalculating to get there at 2 PM!

I was warned that this particular section was pretty boring, really flat and featureless compared to what I had wanted to ride through on my way to the Badlands of ND where the scenery is supposed to be stellar. But damn was I flying. I mean I was eventually ticking off miles at 22-23 mph – a thing of beauty! My butt would get sore and I’d get out of the saddle and hammer at like 20 mph. Made Minot at like 1:48 PM, for 110 miles! Got a cheap motel with wifi, refrig and microwave. Even has Versus on cable for the Tour De France.

Temp was 93 degrees when I pulled in, but it was of the dry heat variety. Now that’s not to say that I wasn’t tuckered out. Hell, I was covered in rings of salt around my neck, arms and powdered all over my legs. When I stopped it felt like a freaking blast furnace. Showered and then went down the street for a Subway that the owner had told me about. But along the way I spotted a Chinese buffet. DONE. Did 4 plates and one soup! Waddled back to the motel and work on the computer and ice some new micro brews in the rigrig – Summit Great Northern Porter, brewed and MN. AWESOME stuff on a super hot day.

So…I made up a day, and am now about 3 days off schedule. But honestly, I never really figured on riding 38 straight days in a row to get to Seattle. What I experienced in Bismarck was something that totally justifies NOT just hammering day after day and never getting to know a place. So tomorrow I’ll just see what the weather has got in store for me. If it’s an odd ball day, where the wind is in my favor, then I may shoot for Ray. If the wind is out of the west and the day is another torcher, then I’ll opt for just 60+ miles to Stanley. Good day or not, I just don’t think I have it in me to hammer out a 130-mile plus day to Williston, ND tomorrow.

Getting closer to meet my friends from Edmonton, Ken and Kim. They will be driving south to Cutbank, Montana and then driving east on Rt 2 to hook up with me. Will be super to see them again and hang out for a bit. Can you say Richard’s Red? Ken tells me he has a couple of cases. And surprise again…..may even have a chance to ride with Barney from Vancouver again. He’s kicking around some ideas to hook up with me also in far western Montana or in Spokane Washington.

Anyway, seeing those faces from last year’s trip will be really incredible. Well, that’s it from Minot, ND. Damn is it hot up here! All the best……Pete

No comments:

Post a Comment